Crews extinguished a fire at two vehicle workshops which destroyed seven vehicles.
Firefighters were called to Sedge Green, Roydon today at 2.52am and found a number of cars alight. The fire had also spread to rear of two vehicle workshops.
Crews removed a number of oxygen-acetylene and argon gas cylinders from the workshops and extinguished the fire by 4.40am.
Watch Manager Dan Byatt said: "The fire was spreading quickly when we arrived, with seven vehicles and the rear of the workshops alight. Crews worked really hard to fight and contain the fire and limit damage to the workshops to about 30%."
The fire investigation concluded that the fire was started deliberately. The incident has been left in the care of the police.
Could you be an on-call firefighter?
Some of the firefighters who attended this incident were on-call firefighters who live or work within 5 minutes of an on-call fire station and are paid to protect their local community.
To find out more about the role and how you can apply, visit: join.essex-fire.gov.uk/on-call
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is supporting the National Fire Chiefs Council in refuting reports claiming that hand sanitiser kept in vehicles can pose a fire risk.
Following widespread news coverage claiming that hand sanitiser kept in vehicles can pose a fire risk, the National Fire Chiefs Council refuted these reports and confirmed there have been no cases of such fires in the UK.
NHS Property Services issued a warning about what it considered to be the dangers of keeping sanitisers in vehicles to its front line staff. It has now retracted this advice following further evidence.
Roy Wilsher, NFCC Chair said: "We want to reassure people that this product will not combust if left in a car - even on the hottest day. For hand sanitiser to cause a fire it would need to come into contact with a spark.
"Hand sanitiser is very important in the fight against the spread of COVID-19, therefore it is essential we debunk this myth. We advise people to ensure they store their hand sanitisers in vehicles safely, which includes keeping bottles closed and out of direct sunlight. such as in the glove box. This will ensure the contents do not deteriorate and means bottles cannot be magnified by the sun. Sanitiser should also be kept away from naked flame."
Andrea MacAlister, Head of Community Safety said: "We all need to work together to beat this pandemic, and challenging incorrect news is a good place to start. We fully support the National Fire Chiefs Council's message and would ask our public to help share this news and correct people when they hear outdated versions of this story."
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service's Fire Investigation Dog has attended her first incident after starting a six-month trial with the Service last week.
Fizz, the sprocker spaniel, accompanied by her handler, Graham Currie, joined Fire Investigators and Crime Scene Investigators at the scene of a fire at a nursery in Roydon on Friday.
Four fire crews from Essex and two fire crews from Hertfordshire took just over two hours to extinguish the fire in Epping Road, Roydon, on Thursday 25 June.
Fizz is trained to 'indicate' when she finds ignitable substances. The speed and accuracy of Fire Investigation Dogs can save police and fire investigators time and resources.
Fire Investigation Officer Andre Turner, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, said: “It was a good chance for Graham and Fizz to get some experience, and for us to see what Fizz would find at the scene.
"She indicated at a petrol can and two bottles stuck on the ground – some type of cleaning product and a bottle of mould remover.
“We think we found where the fire originated but there were a lot of combustible materials – wood, pallets, tyres and fuels – at the site.”
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental or deliberate both possibilities.
CSI Andy Dongray, Essex Police, said: “It was great to work with Essex Fire and Rescue Service and Fizz was amazing – I love her little boots.”
When investigating fire scenes, dogs wear boots to protect their paws from shards of glass or other sharp objects.